Wednesday, September 7, 2016

British Wildlife Photography Awards

I was browsing Google for things to blog about and came across this article. Selina Cheng highlighted some winners from the contest, as well as from the London Natural History Museum’s shortlist for Wildlife Photographer of the Year.
While the images in the article are all stunning, these two are my favorite.
What first caught my attention was obviously the moment that Rickardsen captured. But the longer I stared the more I found myself wondering how he pulled this off. What aperture was he set at? What ISO? What camera was he using? What did he go through to get this shot?
This image is great. And what makes it better to me is that (I think) I know what happened here on a technical level. Low aperture to have a smaller depth of field and a high shutter speed to freeze the birds.
There are many more images in the article with links to the contests' websites to access more pictures. The article link is posted below.
http://qz.com/774610/perfectly-timed-photos-of-wild-animals-offer-a-lesson-in-coexistence/
The shots showcase predator/prey relationships and other interactions between wild animals and the environment.





Audun Rikardsen - Sharing A Buffet (Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2016)


Michael Durham - A Sparrowhawk Strikes Out (British Wildlife Photography Awards 2016)





No comments:

Post a Comment